Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Why a YES to Neutrality, No to BDS vote is a Vote for Decency and Fairness and a Vote Against Bullying and Intimidation


The Canvassing Tactics of Fem Soc, Choice Society and the Palestinian Solidarity Society in NUI Galway



Universities throughout history have been centres of independent thought, promoting the free movement of opinions and beliefs. They have championed those sacred elements necessary to the procuring of a truly broad, liberal education – tolerance, inclusion and free speech. The vivid melting pot of ideas, attitudes, and opinions that once characterised university campuses have inspired students throughout the centuries to stand up, speak out, debate, discuss and take action - from the University of Paris strike in 1229, to the Iranian student protests for the right to freedom of speech that took place in July 1999. Today, more than ever before, we urgently need a generation brave enough to speak their minds, encouraged enough to express their opinions, man enough to stand tall and say, ‘This is what I believe’.  More than ever before, we badly need to foster an environment of opennessbroad-mindedness and tolerance of all opinions on our university campus. The most important aspect of university ought to be its protection of those vital academic freedoms – freedom of opinion and freedom of speech.

Intimidation on NUIG
In a democracy, referenda will have groups campaigning for and against the proposed legislation. On the NUIG campus, those campaigning for a NO to Neutrality and a Yes to BDS vote are the people behind the names FemSoc, Palestinian Solidarity Society and NUIG Choice Society.  They disagree with certain viewpoints in Irish society – and that’s perfectly fine. They hold certain beliefs – and that’s perfectly fine. They have a table at Smokey’s and give out leaflets and stick up posters – and that’s perfectly fine. Unfortunately however their campaign does not stop there. A recent YouTube video produced by the Yes to Neutrality campaigners showed their Yes posters being pulled out of garbage bins around campus and posters covered and ripped on poster boards. Students have remarked that they use obscenities and inappropriate language while ‘canvassing’. There have also been reports of ‘thuggery’, bully-boy tactics, defamation and slander.

(Watch Video here)

Personal Experience

My personal experience of the people behind Fem Soc, Palestinian Solidarity Society and Choice Society goes back a long way. I thrived in university, because I found it a place where I could learn, expand my horizons and educate myself on the issues that fascinated me, namely social justice, education, history and languages.  I was involved in student politics (SU Council, Class Rep, journalist, etc) and volunteering and was often involved in counteracting injustices that exist on campus. As an Education postgrad, for example, I was involved in issues surrounding the quality of the degree being delivered to my class and I fought a hard battle regarding this.

 My reputation as ‘a person with an opinion’ grew and I was approached by Joseph Loughnane about joining the fight against the rising education fees. We agreed that this was hopefully something we could work on together and indeed, I attended some of his FEE meetings for a number of months. We disagreed on other issues however (which were completely unrelated to university fees and education)  and when I steadfastly refused to capitulate, he told me, in no uncertain terms,  that I would no longer be welcome at these meetings – which incidentally were advertised to the public. A short time later, as I left a lecture, I was addressed by one of Loughnane’s friends, Ben O’Ceallaigh, whom I had never met before. For about 15 minutes he shouted at me, cursing profusely and threatening me in a very intimidating way – for simply holding an opinion that differed to his. When I attempted to debate reasonably with him, his frightful rant only worsened. I was physically shaking after the encounter and felt insecure and even in danger on the campus of NUIG. To be honest, in all my time involved in public campaigns, I had never ever had an experience like this. Others in the group stopped speaking to me, and I was treated like an outcast, a pariah, a worthless person.


Time to Stop Bullying 


This group seem to have a serious issue with anyone holding and expressing an opinion that differs to their own; their opposition extends far beyond the lawful methods of canvassing and debate. Ripping down posters, verbally abusing people with a different opinion, blackmail and defamation are only some of their tactics, and some of them, including Loughnane,  have been in trouble with the police. It really is time they were stopped in their tracks and firmly shown - in a democratic, lawful way -  that these tactics are not acceptable. I have had experience with these guys – I know what they are like. They do not have your best interests at heart. Yes, they like to use emotional language and sob stories to promote their opinions, but, believe me, they themselves are guilty of the crimes they profess to be against. As an NUIG alumnus and an educator,  I ask the students of NUI Galway to put a stop to bullying and intimidation on campus. Stand up for Free Speech. Stand up for Respect. Stand up for Fairness.

Vote Yes to Neutrality.
Vote No to BDS.


The NUIG students of the future will thank you.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that all opinions should be tolerated on campus, but a line has to be drawn at hate-speech and libel. Those posters were torn down (not only after the Gardai said they should come down) but also because they were in complete violation of the code of conduct.

    Nobody had a problem with the Burke's opinions until they went around referring to their fellow students as 'abominations'. Bigotry deserves to be met by protest. Hate-speech deserves to be met with protest. I am proud of University students for standing up for the already-embattled LGBT minority.

    ReplyDelete